Many of us are curious to know how presidents spend their leisure time. Let me share with you how the first President of the United States, George Washington, spent his leisure hours when he is off from his work.
• Do you know that the 6’2” President George Washington loved dancing. Dancing is one of the President’s favourite indoor diversion. The President’s love for dancing can be traced back to his younger years;
• Do you know that President George Washington loved horses, too. Even as a youth he spent long hours riding horseback and he was regarded as the best horseman in Virginia, USA. He loves to ride around his plantation in Mt. Vernon;
• Do you know that President George Washington was a good wrestler;
• Do you know that the President’s leisure activities were not limited to outdoor sports. The president plays billiards, too;
• Do you know that the president is a stickler for punctuality. Especially during late dinners that he hosted;
• Do you know that the president found enjoyment more in art than in music. He had great interest in architecture, sculpture and painting. At age 28, he became an art collector. His collection of paintings enormously increased when he was President of the United States… He transformed the President’s House into a type of Art Museum open to the public. President George Washington preferred landscape painting to paintings about the ancient world;
• Do you know that the president’s preference for books were on farming, raising horses, agriculture, and about at military matters;
• Do you know that President George Washington enjoyed chatting with women, especially in the company of his wife, Martha;
• Do you know that the president and his First Lady Martha often times treated their guests to a play. The president liked Shakespeare especially Hamlet;
• Do you know that the customary inaugural address of Presidents was George Washington’s idea;
• Do you know that George Washington who became President of the United States at age of 57 liked to be called “Mr. President.” The US Senate at that time wanted to call him “His Highness the President of the United States of America.”
Finally, how a president spends his leisure time when he takes time off from his work is indeed revealing of his personality. Let us not forget that a president of a country is a human being too, like us. A president is not a demigod. He/she is not a perfect human being. Yes, a president of a country has also defects, flaws and weaknesses in his personality like us.
Have a joyful day!
(For comments/reactions please send to Ms. Villafuerte’s email: email@example.com).