By Nelly Favis-Villafuerte
Many of us are familiar with the radiation emitted by cell phones known as electromagnetic radiation. Many of us are also aware of the harmful effects of the excessive use of cellphones because of radiation exposure. But not many of us know that radiation that is emitted by our home electronics and gadgets like computers, hair dryers, clocks, radio, microwave ovens, dishwashers in the kitchen and other electric appliances – are harmful to our health as well.
Briefly and simply, radiation is energy that is transmitted in the form of rays, waves or particles. The human body is exposed to various types of radiation which may be harmful or not to our body.
Let me share with you valuable health tips regarding radiation emitted from household electronics and gadgets: (References: internet reports and other publications)
- Do you know that appliances which have proximity to the human head like electric hair dryers, shavers and bedside digital alarms are very dangerous, and if not more dangerous than cell phones;
- Do you know that there are many reports and studies saying that microwave ovens emit stronger EMR (Electromagnetic radiation) fields than almost all other home electronics;
- Do you know that sensitivity to a computer screen is common since we sit near the computers but sensitivity to television sets is less common, as we are usually six or more feet away from them;
- Do you know that installing the natural crystal salt lamps each in our rooms releases a good dose of negative ions in the air surrounding the lamps. The negative ion can cancel out/neutralize the EMR that is emitted by the electronic devices in the home;
- Do you know that we can increase our resistance to radiation damage by taking increased dosage of antioxidants, melatonin, Vitamins B, C,E and folic acid as these are natural oxidative stress fighters;
- Do you know that antioxidants may be present in fruits and vegetables? While there are vitamins and minerals containing antioxidant properties (like CQ10, vitamins A, C and E) – these nutritional supplements should be taken in moderation – as mega doses of antioxidants can be harmful;
Today, many people are talking about antioxidants. Since antioxidants help prevent oxidation (which can cause damage to cells and may contribute to aging) antioxidants help increase our immunity system and possibly decrease the risk of infection and cancer;
- Do you know that the blood sugar level of diabetic patients who exercise by walking outdoors goes down but diabetic patients who exercise on a treadmill impacted by electromagnetic fields have their blood sugar level go up;
- Do you know that our bodies are exposed to varying levels of electromagnetic radiation during waking hours. This being the case, our bodies should be exposed to low electromagnetic radiation during the night so we can have a restful sleep. How? Simply by following these precautions:- unplug all electrical items in the sleeping area like computers, Wi-Fi, cell and portable phones, lamps and other electronics. Better still, to turn-off the fuses directly; distance any cordless phone base station about two feet from the head in the bed; the bed should be positioned in such a way that the head is at least 3-6 feet from all electrical outlets; also beds that have some metal springs and/or frames can lead to a non-restful nights. Sleeping on a non-metal bed and mattress is more healthful;
- Do you know that unplugging appliances when not in use on a regular basis will not only save money in our electric bills but will also insure that the appliances will last longer and we will incur less expenses on repairs and replacements;
- Do you know that there are many people suffering from the so-called “electro-sensitive condition” (electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome). They experience pain and other symptoms (like headaches, dizziness, nausea, sleep problems, chest pain, earache, loss of memory, poor concentration, and depression) when they use their cell phones or when they are near Wi-Fi signals or other wireless devices like computers;
- Do you know that it is important to install the correct lighting in our homes to reduce the emission of radiation;
- Do you know that the so-called “dirty electricity” that refers to electric power that comes from our appliances, television, stereos, and other electrical appliances has also being associated with a wide range of illnesses;
- Do you know that walking barefoot on natural surfaces like in the sand (earthing), enables the harmful electronic radiation to flow from the body into the earth. At the same time, this exercise will strengthen our immunity system;
- Do you know that most of the EMF (electromagnetic frequencies) and RF (radio frequencies) radiation that penetrate a house enter through windows. There are ‘shielding films’ which are installed to windows to reduce the entry of radiation;
- Do you know that there is no such thing as safe dose of radiation because the effects of exposure to radiation are cumulative and therefore repeated and increase exposure to radiation in the body correspondingly continues to damage our body tissue and organs.
Have a joyful day! (For comments/reactions please send to Ms. Villafuerte’s email: email@example.com).