By James A. Loyola
Berong Nickel Corporation (BNC)believes President Rodrigo R. Duterte’s citing the company as one of ten mining firms engaged in destructive mining practices “was issued based on false and misleading information.”
“BNC does not engage in destructive mining practices. We take pride in our world-class systems and protocols, which were established by Australian mining experts as early as 2006,” the firm noted.
BNC said in a statement that, last month, it passed the ISO 14001 audit by TÜV Rheinland, “proving that our environmental management system meets stringent international standards.”
It added that the audit findings of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) dated October 28, 2016 also prove that BNC upholds and observes the Philippine Mining Act.
“Contrary to earlier news reports, BNC does not have any operation in Narra, Palawan. Our mine operations are confined within our contract area in Barangay Berong, Quezon in Palawan,” BNC said.
BNC said that, “true to our commitment to responsible mining, we maintain and operate rehabilitation and reforestation projects in Quezon, Palawan that cover a total land area of 133 hectares. These areas are part of the National Greening Project and Adopt a Forest Program of the DENR.”
“We support President Duterte in his mission to rid the mining industry of destructive miners. We owe it to the next generation to be good stewards of the environment. However, responsible miners like BNC should not be persecuted on the basis of false information and deceitful photos,” said BNC.
BNC appealed to the public “to scrutinize the mining industry based on facts, and within the parameters set by law. Photos and videos should not take the place of technical audits and scientific data, especially when the welfare of millions of people are at stake.”